Tuesday, December 26, 2006

User Friendly Advertising

What happens when we allow other people to take the product advertising and make it their own? Recently I was using Office Max's newest advertising campaign which allowed users to play with various games and make sweaters, shake snowglobes, and turn your picture into a dancing elf. Another game was chiselling a piece of ice to make a sculpture. I tried my best at making something, but alas, the most I made was a puddle of water. I browsed the other sculptures and found someone had made a Nazi sign. This makes me wonder about the advertising aspect of allowing your viewers to manipulate and post your content, furthermore I found within the same day other signs of user targeted marketing,

Both sex and drugs are used in identifying with the product consumer. It's a wonder why the number "69" is used for the Navy banner, and why is a "420" reference used in a new Zipcar banner. I'm enjoying the turn of events with the advertising, but with the new user based gallery of manipulated advertising, brands have to watch out what the consumer might think of their product and it's associations.

1 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Schpengle said...

ah bollux to advertising, my creative cyber friend........
happy yule, winter solstice, Eide or whatever takes your fancy back there.
:)
just have a nice one.
cya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home