Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Is McDonalds going for the gold in advertising?


Within the past few months I've had more reaction to the ripped McDonalds bag on my refridgerator than anything else. Adorned with "I'm lovin' it", McDonalds newest ad campaign, a rather well-built man appears to be holding a boys' hand as he stares up at him. The kids face is seen in profile, and the only view we have of the man is his backside. Perfect. The boys' expression on his face is that of anticipation and excitement. They, however, are wearing soccer outfits. Could this man be his father?, his lover?, who? Since my boyfriend is older than me, we get all the jokes and hits for the "daddy son" complex. Most of our gay friends think it's really something, McDonalds is subliminally telling us it's ok to be gay. There is the same for an older woman and younger girl, they however are reading a book on a bed. I don't know why it's so attractive to me, maybe it's all those coach fantasies I have, but then again - it could be brilliant marketing that only McDonalds could both afford and advertise with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home